Wood Floor Care & Maintenance Tips
1. Sweep, dust mop or vacuum your floor daily to remove loose dirt and grit before it can scratch the surface of your floor
2. Thoroughly clean the kitchen twice as often as other areas
3. Never use water or products such as soaps, detergents, oil soaps vinegar, wax or household cleaners to clean your floors. These products can adversely effect the appearance of the finish. For best results, clean only with products recommended by H.S.A.C.
4. Only use products recommended by your hardwood floor professional (available at H.S.A.C)
5. Place area rugs or mats at doorways, high traffic areas and in front of the kitchen sink to help catch dirt. Never use rubber or plastic backed rugs. Solid cotton is highly recommended.
6. Use proper floor protectors, such as felt pads on all furniture.
7. To move furniture properly across a wood floor it should be picked up.
8. Maintain a consistent humidity level, excessive swings in humidity levels will cause hardwood floors to swell, shrink, cup, crack, and show gaps between boards. The use of a humidifier/dehumidifier to maintain a relative humidity level of 35-50 percent may be necessary.
9. Keep pet nails trimmed regularly. Try to keep animal play to a minimum.
10. Keep potted plants off floors. This will prevent condensation build up damaging floors.
11. Children's plastic toys can scuff the surface of the wood.
12. Re-coat your floors every 3-5 years or as wear develops. Please call for more information